GMS Honors in MAE Innovation Awards
RANCHO CUCAMONGA, CA, December 18, 2018 – General Micro Systems (GMS) today announced that three of its rugged C4ISR mobile systems and servers have been honored with 2018 Technology Innovation Awards from Military & Aerospace Electronics.
The S402-SW “Tiger”, a mobile battlefield data center that provides server-class performance in a ruggedized conduction-cooled system, received a platinum award as did the S1U401-MD "Cyclone,” a 1U rackmount, multi-domain Red/Black server and multi-port Ethernet switch/router designed for low price, space efficiency and ultimate battlefield network security. The 2U Apex—the “Forever Server” system that is compact, secure, exceptionally powerful, rugged and modular—received a gold. Like all of GMS’s products, these award-winning systems are fully designed and manufactured in the USA.
“The U.S. military is racing to advance new battlefield technologies to fight the very real and aggressive threat from our so-called ‘near peer’ adversaries, and our rugged systems and servers are playing a pivotal role in these next-generation applications,” said Ben Sharfi, CEO and chief architect, GMS. “These award-winning rugged systems in particular offer some of the most powerful and highest-performing computing available in various forms, but all incorporate entire tents’ worth of capabilities into single products that could fit in the back of a Humvee or even a small unmanned vehicle.”
- The S402-SW “Tiger”, developed for the U.S. Army's Product Manager Mine Resistant Ambush Protected Vehicle Systems (PdM MRAP VS), is sealed and operates in temperatures from -40 to 85 degrees Celsius with no fans required. The S402-SW meets the challenge of combining multiple chassis and functions into a single, small, conduction-cooled server to fit into a very tight space in the vehicle—at a price point roughly one-third of the previous separate chassis and functions.
- The S1U401-MD “Cyclone” is a rugged packaging trailblazer, with each of its two isolated domains (Red/Black) boasting six times the functionality of traditional foreign-made motherboard-based blade servers. This makes the 1U Cyclone a 12x improvement over traditional systems.
- The Apex rackmount server is designed for harsh use but is able to evolve and upgrade as system needs change over many years. The system is so densely packed that it can reduce an entire rack’s worth (17U) of functionality into a single product—also saving size, weight, power (SWaP) and total cost of ownership (TCO).
“We couldn’t ask for a better location—or better people—for our East Coast operations than what we’ve found here in Martin County,” said Ben Sharfi, CEO, GMS. “This has been an incredible year for GMS,and we expect 2018 to be even better, with more growth here as we work to increase our business further into non-military commercial applications that require the rugged servers and other technologies that only GMS can provide.”
The Technology Innovation Awards recognize companies offering substantial military, aerospace, and avionics design solutions. An independent panel of senior third-party industry professionals base their scores (platinum, gold and silver) on the following criteria:
- Value to the User
- Meeting a Defined Need
"This prestigious program allows Military & Aerospace Electronics to celebrate and recognize the most innovative products and services in the military electronics industry,” said publisher Alan Bergstein. “Our 2018 Honorees are an outstanding example of companies who are making an impact."
For more information:
High resolution photos:
- S402-SW: http://www.gms4sbc.com/press/S402-SW
- S1U401-MD: http://www.gms4sbc.com/press/S1U401-MD/
- Apex: http://www.gms4sbc.com/press/Apex/
Link to award logos:
About General Micro Systems:
General Micro Systems (GMS) is the industry expert in highest-density, modular, compute-intensive, and rugged small form-factor embedded computing systems, servers, and switches. These powerful systems are ideal for demanding C4ISR defense, aerospace, medical, industrial, and energy exploration applications. GMS is an IEC, AS9100, and MIL-SPEC supplier with infrastructure and operations for long-life, spec-controlled, and configuration-managed programs. Designed from the ground up to provide the highest performance and functionality in the harshest environments on the planet, the company’s highly customizable products include GMS Rugged DNA™ with patented RuggedCool™ cooling technology. GMS is also the leader in deployable high-end Intel® processors and a proud Intel partner since 1986. For more information, visit www.gms4sbc.com
General Micro Systems and the General Micro Systems logo are trademarks of General Micro Systems, Inc. All other product or service names are the property of their respective owners. ©2017 General Micro Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved.